Role in simple terms refers to the assortment of activities and responsibilities that is allocated to an individual or a team. In a similar context, the roles of ITIL manager can vary according to the functions that he is assigned to. Also, one person can have multiple roles and responsibilities. For instance, the role of the configuration manager and change manager can be accomplished by one person.
Let’s have a detailed comprehension of the varying types of roles and responsibilities that the ITIL manager can possess.
ITIL Process Manager and Service manager:
The individual who is solely responsible for managing the operational management or process can be termed as an ITIL process manager. A process manager should have a thorough knowledge of the process workflow and the KPIs. He should also effectively manage any low-level process issues. He is also expected to comprehend and guide resources regarding the process. The Service Manager monitors the Service Level Agreements and ensures that they are met. He negotiates on this as well and ensures that the SLAs are met without any misses. The service manager takes part in the effective implementation of the service strategy.
ITIL Incident Manager:
The incident manager possesses an important responsibility and makes sure that the issues are addressed at the earliest and outages can be prevented or minimized. His sole aim remains a speedy restoration of the services to minimize impacts. He effectively coordinates all major incidents. He takes part in the incident reviews and aids in the decision making process associated with the incident managing procedure. In many organizations, it is the incident manager who decides which stakeholders need to be involved or what communication should be made. He can as well guide the whole troubleshooting process. With a reduced number of incidents and outages, the stability is increased and it also enhances the brand value of an organization. A Root cause analysis can be conducted for the recurring incidents to prevent their occurrences in future. The problem management process helps in such scenarios
The Infrastructure Manager (IM)
The Infrastructure Manager plays an important role in the decision-making process which involves planning, installation, maintenance, systems, manpower etc. All these elements form the core of a corporation. In other terms, an Infrastructure manager ensures smooth functioning of IT services and their timely delivery to the customers who utilize it. He is good at multitasking and carries out many important roles per the requirement of the organization. He has an excellent relationship with the safety team and ensures an overall smooth operation. The teams need to follow the standards and procedures at work for successful implementation of ITIL. It can be beneficial for the employees to do ITIL training as well.
The Change Manager
The change manager plays an important role in the change management process. He acts as a facilitator and ensures that the changes process are executed smoothly right from the RFC until the implementation phase. His primary responsibilities include –
- Authorization and approval of the minor and low change.
- He monitors the change records and supervises the change thoroughly throughout its life cycle.
- He coordinates and conducts meetings with members of the Change planning board (CAB) to discuss on the higher risk changes and accordingly takes part in the change approval process. He owns the authority to implement or reject a change
- He ensures that the whole process involved in change execution follows the standards. It becomes an utmost necessary to implement the change as per the standards. The policies and procedures should be defined, recognized and reviewed
- The reason for introducing the ITIL was that there is a requirement of the IT services quality obtained by the British Government so that they an ameliorated quality can be realized at a cheaper price. The IT Infrastructure Library ensures furnish IT services with efficacy
The ITIL manager is the salient resource for ensuring a smooth ITIL process flow. An effective ITIL process aids in risk reduction and helps in cost reduction. An effective ITIL implementation results in profit maximization and ensures customer satisfaction. ITIL is currently used by numerous organizations and has become beneficial through its implementation. Business service can be enhanced through successful ITIL implementation.