When beginners enter the field of online business, they find different relevant terminologies that confuse them. One of them is SUBDOMAIN. What is the subdomain? What are its uses? All the queries will be answered in the article. Moreover, you will be able to know how to create a subdomain. So, let’s move on!
What is the subdomain?
The subdomain is an additional part of the primary domain name. For example, if you have a domain name (goodly.com), then you will use the subdomains such as pic.goodly.com or me.goodly.com. So, the subdomain is operated under the same primary domain. You can create many subdomains and build another website for your customers. You can create sub domains on local domains too such as domains pk etc.
Requirements for Creating a subdomain
The only thing that you need to create a subdomain is “PRIMARY DOMAIN”. Without a domain, you cannot create a subdomain.
What are the uses of the sub-domain?
The major uses of sub-domain include:
- When you need to develop a support section for your customers on the website. Then creating a subdomain is useful. Google also has a subdomain support.google.com
2. Creating a blog for your online business. Such as, webhost.com builds a subdomain blog.webhost.com for sharing information with the clients.
3. When company owners want to separate the blog or app from the website, then creating a subdomain will be better rather than building another individual domain. For example, Grammerly.com also has a subdomain app.grammerly.com where the users can enjoy services.
4. Owners when building an eCommerce store, need more strict security to save the customers as well as financial information. Hence, they prefer to use a subdomain.
5. While redesigning the website, a subdomain can help you to see the live version. Moreover, you can send some traffic to the subdomain to testify to the audience or customer response. You can also take feedback. You can also add a password to the subdomain and limit the traffic reaching the subdomain. Once you have made all the settings, you can transfer the subdomain to the primary domain.
6. A subdomain allows you to test new products on your website. Before launching it on the primary domain website, you can easily check it on the subdomain without sacrificing user experience.
How to create a subdomain?
Here is some easy step you need to follow to create a subdomain name in cPanel easily.
- Login to cPanel
2. In the domain section, you will see another section named “subdomain”
3. Select “create a subdomain”
4. In the text box, enter the subdomain that you want to create
5. Click Create, and your subdomain will be created by the cPanel.
How to install WordPress to a subdomain?
Now you need to add secondary WordPress to the subdomain. Here are some steps you need to follow.
- Login to cPanel and scroll down.
2. Find the superscript of WordPress and click it.
3. Click the install button and you will see an Installation preference screen.
4. Select the subdomain and click complete.
5. It’s done.