Fascinated by the world of social media? Find yourself enjoying using social media and want to make a career out of it? Why not become a social media manager? Social media managers are becoming an increasingly integral role to every business as many businesses choose to invest in social media marketing over marketing through other mediums.
If you are considering becoming a social media manager, keep reading to find out how you can land yourself such a position in a business!
Education and Qualifications
In modern times, it can be quite difficult to gain a job without relevant tertiary education. Whether you learn about social media marketing and management through university or another independent educational institution, any type of further education outside of high school will increase your chances of becoming a social media manager significantly.
Education options available to you include (but are not limited to):
- Bachelor of Business (with a major or minor in social media marketing)
- Bachelor of Media Communications (with a major or minor in social media marketing)
- Business Diploma (with education in social media marketing)
- Completion of educational courses in social media marketing
If you are looking to learn more about social media marketing and gain the necessary skills and qualifications in order to become a social media manager, consider taking educational courses on the subject. Pacific Training Group offers industry-leading courses in social media marketing to prepare individuals for the real business world of social media.
Like every job, professional experience in a relevant field is highly valued by employers. Social media is a relatively easy field to develop professionally in, as many businesses offer entry-level internships. If you’re finding it difficult to land a job in social media marketing straight after graduating from an educational institutional, perhaps start off with an internship first. Most marketing internships will involve social media and through such experiences, you can gain a basic understanding of what it takes to become a social media manager.
Expected Skills and Responsibilities
It is also important to understand the expectations of you if you are to become a successful social media manager. The most common tasks assigned to social media managers are:
- Working closely with the marketing team to plan, create and execute marketing campaigns targeted at social media users.
- Analysing information gathered on audience demographics and the effectiveness of certain social media marketing strategies.
- Research and follow trends within the social media space to implement into a business’ social media strategy and marketing campaigns.
- Learning how to use a variety of social media platforms for marketing purposes, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, LinkedIn and Pinterest.
Have more questions on becoming a social media manager? Learn about the profession by taking a social media marketing and communications course! Keep in mind the required education levels and qualifications, professional experiences and the tasks expected of you and you’re sure to become a successful social media manager!